Health Tip: Should I Be Concerned About Home Safety?
Home injuries such as falls or accidents are a leading cause of death for Americans. Whether you take extra caution in the kitchen or place non-skid mats in the bathtub, every step taken towards safety makes a difference.
- Keep a lamp or flashlight and telephone within reach of your bed.
- Post emergency and contact phone numbers by each phone.
- Make sure rugs and other obstructions are placed away from walkways and other frequented areas.
- Avoid overloading electrical outlets. Power strips are a good solution for outlets that need more than two plug-ins.
- Sometimes falls and other accidents can be prevented by just being able to see more clearly. Make sure rooms, hallways and working areas have ample lighting.
- Use a steady stepladder or stepstool rather than a chair to reach items in tall cabinets. Better yet, work with family members or professionals to re-organize frequently used items into easy-to-reach areas.
Questions about aging? Contact us today or call 402.486.8520 | 800.418.9335.